Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia Book 1: The Magician's Nephew


I bought the whole set (7 books in all) around 3 years ago but I only got to read book 1 at that time. And now that Prince Caspian is showing in the cinema, I'd like to get to know the history of Narnia again before I see the movie for I have forgotten it already. So lately, instead of blogging, I've been spending some time, not only playing with my guitar and keyboards  but reading my books as well. And I started it off with Book 1 of C.S. Lewis' wonderful Narnia series...


I find it so interesting  that  this story about two children (Digory and Polly) who was brought to the amazing beginnings of the magical world of Narnia, through the boy's uncle's (Uncle Andrew) magical rings, is actually an allegory to the Roman Catholic's view of creation.  Aslan, the all powerful lion whom we've seen in the movie The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, is an allegory of God who created all things in this universe, the way Aslan created Narnia in this story. And of course, Queen Jadis, the evil and beautiful witch, is Satan's representation in the story. There was even a scene where she tempted Digory, "the son of Adam" as Aslan calls him, with an apple. Good ol' Digory followed what is true in his heart and the rest as they say is history. 


I also liked the part towards the end where Aslan warned the kids of what our world will become if mankind will not take care of it. Aslan here was being"Nostradamus-like". It sent shivers up my spine because today, more than ever, we know for a fact what a tragedy our world is in with these global warming and terrorism things going on.

The book is a good read. It's short, full of descriptive imaginings and written in old London English... If you don't know how to read between the lines and find meanings in certain parts of the book, that's ok. It's fiction, anyway. It's fun and exciting and I couldn't wait to finish the whole set. But after I read Book 3, I will watch the movie version first. :-)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment