Friday, June 23, 2006

The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella



 
OH-MY-GOD!!! I never knew that Sophie Kinsella’s novels would be such a huge hit! They totally turned my world around in a matter of a few days. And I’ve been happier and more excited about my life ever since. To think that I oftentimes see these colorful books whenever I pass by Powerbooks on my way to meet up with Peter and simply ignore them! I remember dismissing them as shallow books for shallow readers. And now, here I am obsessing about her work. Golly!


This is most probably brought about by the materialistic culture we were brought up in. Well, with the advent of numerous shopping malls, tiangges, bazaars and opportunities for low-cost traveling like what Jetstar, Tiger Asia and Air Asia offer, it’s really much easier now a days to live a trend-setting, jet-setting kind of life (for the lower and upper middle class, at least), while still trying to make both ends meet. 

So who wouldn’t be charmed by the character of Becky Bloomwood? She’s a 25 year old shopaholic yuppie, who is average in most respects like the rest of us, struggling to make the most of her day-to-day existence, has normal problems, hopes and dreams. But alas! Towards the end of this addicting series, she finds the love of her life, a prince charming in most respects, and her problems are instantly solved (or so she believes). It’s so easy to be caught up in her life, hoping that ours could be like hers too. Well, in some cases, I feel we are the same. There’s a kindred spirit simmering  between pages. And if you want to escape, even for a few minutes in between breaks, from all of our life’s daily travails, and feel good about something for once, then this book is the answer. Enjoy all forur books -  Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Shopaholic & Sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment