Friday, November 30, 2007

Batman Year One by Frank Miller & David Mazzuchelli


Yeah, I know I said I was going to read Civil War. I started it some time ago but when I saw Batman lying around the living room, I picked it up and began reading the story of Batman's origins. 

This comic book was written using two perspectives --- that of Bruce Wayne from the time his parents were killed at the age of six to the time he returned to Gotham City at a ripe age of twenty-five, after patiently readying himself to fight crimes in their God-forsaken city. Then there's that of Lieutenant James Gordon, a police officer under the tutelage of the city's Police Commissioner, who somehow found his way to become Batman's new friend towards the end.


It was a good read for me. It maintained Batman's original story as created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger in 1939 and yet they improved on it, gave it depth, complexity and a wider context. Details were added especially in Bruce's struggles to become Batman, thereby giving the story more credibility.

The comic book is divided into four chapters: I. How I Came To Be; II. Declaration of War; III. Black Dawn; IV. Friend In Need. Somewhere in between is also Catwoman's story standing at the sidelines. It was pretty awesome actually! And towards the end, the creators explained how it was all done, with Frank Miller writing the script, David Mazzuchelli doing the illustrations and Richmond Lewis doing the colors and painting. I felt like I wanted to be like them too. If only I have the talent. But since the last time I painted was when I was 22, then I guess I'd better stick to reading them instead. Hehe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment