Friday, May 21, 2010

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks


  

It took a while for me to start reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. I dunno if it was because I was busy, or if the prologue was just a bit boring to read that I never get past it for some time. When I finally did, that's when things started kicking in for me and I was finally captivated by the story.


I think the boredom I felt at the start of the novel was because I was quite confused with the prologue. It happened at present which was 11 years after the main plot of the story. Travis is in his 40's, to visit Gabby at her place of work, while tentatively carrying flowers, which was 3 months after their big fight and the last time they slept in one bed. It made me feel like some sort of an impending doom is in the air and I felt uneasy, sad,devastated, teary-eyed,and just crushed. 


The build up slowly happened... Travis is not your typical celebrity-looking vet  with ultra white teeth and perfect body. While Gabby works as a PA in a nearby hospital and just recently transfered to a new place to be closer to her boyfriend and at the same time, find herself. She is also not the typical beautiful-looking girl. The way Nicholas described her, she's the type who's not so pretty , but has a certain charm that grows with you. 

Anyway, as opposite as they were, with Travis being the more adventurous of the two (a world traveler,  a sailor, a surfer, and does all sorts of other water sports activities)  and Gabby being the more sheltered one, they fall in love and build a life together.

But in the end, choices have to be made. 

For what it's worth, Nicholas Sparks does really know how to make twists and turns in making a novel. He knew from the start how things would end, and as usual, he unleashed a waterfall of tears like he did in his other books. 

I plan to read another book of his (The Last Song), but perhaps I should rest my emotions first and read something light instead (like the tons of books I bought from Reader's Digest). 

For now, I can just watch this trailer of The Last Song's movie adaptation (starring Miley Cyrus)and maybe just buy a DVD copy  of it soon. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joCwQ2pjfjw



No comments:

Post a Comment