Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thor, Avengers, Archie Marries Graphic Novels




Ever since I watched Thor last weekend, twice --- one in  3D and one on regular cinema, I've really been gaga about him. Perhaps it's because Chris  Hemsworth was really perfect for the role, with his God-like,  uber gorgeous body and those blue eyes to die for. Natalie Portman was an awesome Jane foster too! I didn't at all see her Black Swan character in there (unlike Jennifer Aniston for instance who pretty much acts like Rachel Green of Friends in almost every role she portrays). Even Kat Dennings was awesome. A few hours before I watched Thor in 3D, I watched Charlie Bartlett at home where  Kat Dennings also starred and it's amazing how she transformed into this cute political science sidekick of Jane Foster in the movie as opposed to usually being slutty or flirty in some movies she starred in. 




Anyway, my point is, I loved, loved, loved THOR! Great work Kenneth Branagh! I actually want to watch it again. I'm already being quite obsessive, I know. I just couldn't help it. The only other Marvel movie that I watched over and over before Thor was Iron Man Part 1 simply because I adored Tony Stark and made me see Robert Downey, Jr. in a whole new different light. I also went gaga over Tony Stark after that. But not like this.




After my husband and I watched Thor, we scoured the entire Festival Mall to look for Thor graphic novels. For some reason, both National Bookstore and Powerbooks didn't have any Thor comic books in stock. I was devastated! So we just went ahead and watched the movie again. Fortunately, we remembered that Comic Quest is just right outside the cinemas. Whoopee!!!


I assure you, before that fateful evening, I only buy Archie comics from Comic Quest. It's Peter who usually buys his geeky comic book stuff (Marvel comics like like Daredevil Volumes 1-4, Watchmen; DC comics like Justice League, Batman, Spiderman, Superman; Sandman Series, other Neil Gaiman stuff, and so many other graphic novels I can't count anymore) and he just let me borrow them if I feel like reading them. This time around, I actually spent Php5k worth of my own money buying a trade paperback of Thor volume 3  by J. Michael Straczynski; Whosoever Weilds This Hammer No. 1 by Stan Lee and Larry Lieber which was originally published in magazine form as Journey Into Mystery #83-84 and #88 in 1962-63; an oversized hardbound Avengers Volume 5 by Busiek Davis Reis and Garcia Dwyer;


...and of course, I won't say no to an absolute hardbound Archie Marries... that comes with a free comic book featuring classic stories of Archie from 1940's-60's. 


Suffice it to say that I had a great weekend. The next few days were spent reading all these graphic novels and dreaming about them when I went to sleep. It's crazy! Thanks to my very slow SMARTBRO internet connection at home, I couldn't even spend quality time online so I had more reason to just lie on my bed or my hammock and read my new books.
 

Thor in the graphic novels is not as charming as he looks on screen.  But still, I like getting to know him further in all his arrogance, brashness and bravery. I'm not yet done with Avengers. There are just so many plots and characters that the whole book is making my head swirl. 
 


So I finished reading Archie Marries... first.  It basically tells a futuristic tale of what will happen should Archie marry Veronica or Betty. I cried both times. It's just so amazing how all the writers kept and continue to keep Archie's stories as well as his pals' so interesting all these 70 years. It's a must read to all Archie fans out there. Aside from its futuristic outlook, it will definitely bring you back to memory lane as this absolute hardbound comes with a free Archie comic book from 1940's-60's.

Now, back to finishing Avengers and saving up some more money so I can complete all the volumes of these Marvel graphic novels. Yep, I think I'm what you call a geek-in-the-making... or a baby geek (sounds cuter) Ciao! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment