Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger


Wow, it really took me a while before I finished reading this book --- Chasing Harry Winston by one of my favorite authors, Lauren Weisberger. However, after I finally put it down, I am now having second thoughts about her. Has Weisberger lost her writing magic or something? The story really bored me to tears. There were no exciting plot points, no interesting bits and pieces of information. The only thing that kept me from throwing away the book is its title and the name of the author. Personally, I also hate unfinished projects, so I persevered... grudgingly and disappointedly.

Chasing Harry Winston is not as spectacularly written as her first two novels, Devil Wears Prada and Everyone Worth Knowing. I can't even understand why she entitled this novel the way she did when there was only one little reference to Harry Winston's rings --- those diamonds Salma Hayek wore during one of the Oscars. This pretty little detail is not even very important. 


Anyway, the story revolved around three bestfriends who each wanted to make significant changes in their lives. Thus, a pact was made between the three of them:

There's Emmy, a serial monogamist, whose boyfriend of five years dumped her for some young cheerleader and now wants to do exactly the opposite of what she's been doing all these years. She suddenly found herself the most perfect job which involved a lot of traveling all over the world and so began her "tour de whore" adventures.

There's Leigh, a fantastic editor whose job is about to get both exciting and complicated when she was given the chance to edit one of their bestselling  authors, Jesse Chapman, whom she fell in love with eventually, making her leave both her job and her boyfriend who everyone considered to be perfect.

And then there's Adriana, a gorgeous Brazilian born with a golden spoon in her mouth and living THE LIFE of a perfect little rich kid --- glamorous parties, gorgeous men, shopping, etc. Only, she is not little anymore and must soon find someone deserving of her faithful love. Thus, began her quest for THE ONE.

After so many long narratives, with nothing exciting really happening, just a series of account after another, told by each of the three bestfriends, they all went back to their old lives and figured that it's better to be 30 and fabulous, looking for love the old fashioned way rather than changing who they really are.

Maybe, if you have nothing better to do, you can try reading this book. But if I knew the story would be so terrible, I would have stuck with my other favorite authors (which I am already doing right now). ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment