Monday, December 27, 2010

Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger




I started reading this when I went on vacation with my husband last November. I wasn't expecting much coz I've been disappointed before with some of Lauren Weisberger's literary works. Surprisingly, reading the first few pages of  Last Night at Chateau Marmont brought back the same level of fun as the time I read The Devil Wears Prada. So I figured, there could be hope with this new book. So I kept reading. Before I knew it, I was so engrossed with the plot that I even imagined myself as Brooke (the lead character whose name is the same as my alter ego's name... yup, my bestfriend calls me Brooke) --- the lucky groupie-who-became-the-wife-of-a-real-rockstar. I laughed, I cried, I sympathized and went crazy as the story progressed. In short, I loved the book!
When success hits you, it hits really hard.


Brooke is a simple lady with an MA degree in nutrition who fell in love with a struggling  but talented musical artist. In the course of their 5-year marriage, she worked two jobs to support Julian Alter, her  husband who is also a talented singer/songwriter. After countless gigs and performances around Manhattan, Julian landed a recording deal with Sony, which meant more long hours of music recording but with no promise of success. It was only after Julian got asked to perform at a national late-night talk show that Julian finally became a rockstar, literally overnight, and the whirlwind of paparazzi adventures and tabloid news followed.

Brooke, being the devoted wife that she is, tried her best to keep her marriage intact. But she also has her own dream career to fulfill, a world totally far from Julian's celebrity status. With  her husband always absent and illicit photos popping everywhere, their marriage is being qestioned and laughed at on the tabloids. How far will their love go?  

Last Night at Chateau Marmont was a very good read for me. It gave me  a good picture of how life must be like for  celebrities. I'm telling you, it's definitely not a glamorous ride despite how we may see it on paper and TV.  Anyway, I couldn't put  down the book on most occasions which is why I finished it in record time. Do get a copy. It's a satisfying read.

No comments:

Post a Comment