Sunday, December 12, 2010

You Can Draw by Sheila Coulson





I've been an avid customer of Reader's Digest this year. Whenever they'd send me a new catalogue of books I can choose from, I make sure that I browse it to see if anything would interest me. If before I bought books about classic stories, nature, culture and various human civilizations, my last purchase was a practical book on HOW TO DRAW. 

Being a person of many talents (yes, I used to be semi-talented when it comes to drawing and painting when I was around  9-12 years old that my school would send me to drawing competitions), I take pride in being able to learn on my own. Because I no longer have the time to go to a real school for things that I want to learn, I just try to make the most of my situation and buy books that will teach me how to do things instead.


In fact, I already have in my possession a few HOW-TO books: How to Play the Guitar, How to Play the Keyboard, How to Play Drums, How to Surf, How to Make Soap, How to Cook, How to Make Spa Products, How to Make Candles.... Wait, that's not few. That's several already! And now this --- how to draw. Weee!



You Can Draw, a spiral bound book of practical drawing techniques by Sheila Coulson, teaches us, in details all the steps we will ever need for us to learn how to draw. Even if you think you don't have the talent for it, by the end of all the 15 exercises, you'll be surprised at how good you've become.



I'm telling you, I haven't drawn anything in the last decade. I've been so used to just typing away in front of the computer that I totally surprised myself when I did two introductory exercises and I thought, this is not bad... not bad at all!



As part of my upcoming New Year's resolutions, I am focusing on one HOW TO book a month. I'm so excited to finish this book. Who knows what I can draw next time!It won't definitely be like the childhood drawings I used to make before no matter how good they may have been in the past. I know I can do this and I'll get  better at it as I go along. Thanks to YOU CAN DRAW, anybody now can be an artist!


No comments:

Post a Comment